Research at ISAE-SUPAERO
ISAE-SUPAERO is a research and innovation-driven institution of higher education, committed to balancing scientific excellence, academic visibility and proximity to industrial objectives.
ISAE-SUPAERO INNOVATION-DRIVEN RESEARCH
RESEARCH AT ISAE-SUPAERO
ISAE-SUPAERO research activities have helped to make the school an international leader not only in terms of its aerospace engineering program but also its post-graduate programs including its masters (MSc) and doctoral programs in engineering sciences.
Interdisciplinary approach is combined with the most advanced research on scientific knowledge, models, and methodological approaches. Furthermore active studies are performed in order to develop tools for designing aeronautics, space engineering and embedded systems from the expression and definition of requirements up to verification and validation (V & V) as well as qualification for certification.
The ISAE-SUPAERO research strategy integrates industrial and social sustainable development objectives while encompassing every aspect of aerospace system performance including security, safety, resilience, competitiveness, virtualization (digital), new technologies, and innovative processes, services and concepts.
5 STRATEGIC AXES
The ISAE SUPAERO scientific policy for aerospace systems focuses on five core areas :
- Integrated design for system performance and operation security
- Models and optimization for energy efficiency, the environment and competitiveness
- Earth observation, environmental monitoring and space exploration
- Telecommunications, resilient connected cyber-physical systems and networks
- Data analysis, decision making sciences and mastering complexity.
6 TRAINING AND RESEARCH DEPARTMENTS
Six teaching and research departments cover both specialized and multi-disciplinary scientific topics which in turn address the five core areas :
- Department of Aerodynamics, Energetics and Propulsion (DAEP)
- Department of Aerospace Vehicles Design and Control (DCAS)
- Department of Mechanics, Structures and Materials (DMSM)
- Department of Complex Systems Engineering (DISC)
- Department of Electronics, Optronics and Signal Processing (DEOS)
- Department of Humanities and Languages (LACS)
In keeping with the institute’s mission and overseen by the Research Board, the six ISAE SUPAERO departments carry out the institute’s scientific strategy via two research units (laboratories assessed by the Haut conseil de l’évaluation de la recherche et de l’enseignement supérieur - the board that assesses research and higher education - HCERES):
- ISAE-SUPAERO Research, a multidisciplinary laboratory overseen by the sole Institute;
- Institut Clément Ader (ICA) UMR n°5312 of the CNRS, Midi-Pyrénées solid mechanics laboratory overseen by the CNRS, UT3, INSA, MINES-ALBI, and ISAE-SUPAERO ;
ISAE-SUPAERO doctoral program is also driven by six doctoral schools on the Toulouse site and in particular by the Ecole Doctorale Aéronautique Astronautique (EDAA), hosted by the institute.
In addition to monodisciplinary research, several multidisciplinary topics are also addressed as well as two transdisciplinary activities. The latter are part of larger groups (“GIS”: Groupements d’intérêts scientifiques”): “Micro UAV” and the Toulouse University Space Centre.
The research performed by LACS is part of two laboratories, LISST and LAIDIL - UT2 Jean Jaurès.
The partnership of ISAE-SUPAERO with ONERA, the French Aerospace Lab, and ENAC (The French School of Civil Aviation) is a major asset of the aeronautics and space higher education hub.