Every year, ISAE-SUPAERO welcomes 1,700 students, 34% of whom come from abroad. Sixty nationalities can be found on campus.
Approximately 350 international students take the French courses organized by the Institute. These courses are for students in the "Ingénieur ISAE-SUPAERO" (MSC) program and the "Master of Science in "Aerospace Engineering". They are also open to post-graduates and interns from the various departments at the Institute.
These courses are designed to facilitate the students’ social, cultural and academic integration.
The French as a Foreign Language (FLE – Français Langue Etrangère) section reports to the LACS (Languages, Arts, Cultures and Societies) training and research department.
The teaching team is made up of 14 teachers on contract and one permanent teacher, all specialists in FLE.
Upon arrival, international students take an on-line level test on the school’s digital platform (LMS). They are then put into groups of different levels with approximately 15 students each.
Levels of skill
We offer complete training to achieve various targets:
- A1 – Beginner
- A2 – Elementary
- B1 – Intermediate
- B2 – Upper intermediate
- C1 - Advanced
When level B2 has been acquired:
- All students have the possibility of perfecting their skills by continuing at this same level or choosing a language from the 9 others offered by the LACS department.
- Master’s students can also choose the FLE theater class, which has been specially designed for them.
- Students in the engineering program (3rd year) can also prepare for the DALF C1 exam.
Programs and courses offered
Courses in everyday French (Levels A1 to B2)
These French courses will enable students to work on various language and cultural skills in order to learn to communicate in everyday situations and to follow their programs as easily as possible.
Thematic Courses (Master students – Level B2)
Every semester, students are offered two thematic courses. The purpose is for them to perfect their language skills and enrich their knowledge of French society and culture :
- 1st semester: choice between "Aeronautics and Space” or "Major Societal Debates"
- Late January to late March: "The Business World in France"
- 2nd semester: choice between "French-language culture through movies and songs" or "French-language culture through literature and comic books"
Theater Class (Master’s students – Level B2 and higher)
The purpose of this course is to help students to perfect their language and cultural skills through this original approach.
Preparation for the DALF in Sciences (Engineering students – Level C1)
Students in the Ingénieur ISAE-SUPAERO" (MSC) program (3rd year) can prepare for the DALF C1 exam.
Other activities included with the courses
- Cultural outings (city center, museums, etc.)
- Theatrical performance
- Educational concert
- Workshops on French culture
Other activities outside the FLE courses
Tutoring / “Pupitrage”
Every year, the LACS department sets up a system called “pupitrage”. Students at the school recruited for their language and teaching skills and speaking at least two foreign languages (level C1/C2), welcome and provide guidance to international students seeking to improve their language skills, independently or with their help. Pupitrage takes place in the language labs, with three 3-hour sessions a week.
This weekly one-hour workshop is open to engineering and Master’s students. There is a choice of two sessions, limited to 15 students per workshop.
The goal is to help students to improve their pronunciation and to self-correct.