Prerequisites for applying
The doctoral candidate must hold a French Master’s degree, following completion of a higher education program or professional experience that attests to the candidate’s aptitude for research.
By way of derogation, candidates who have completed studies of an equivalent level or who have successfully validated professional experience may apply for the doctoral program.
The application file common to all founding institutions of the l’Université de Toulouse and all doctoral schools of Toulouse, is available on the websites of the following doctoral schools:
- Aéronautique astronautique (Aeronautics & Astronautics) ( ISAE-SUPAERO is a hosting establishment)
- Génie électrique, électronique, télécommunications (Electrical, Electronic Engineering & Telecommunications)
- Mathématiques, informatique et télécommunications de Toulouse (Mathematics, Informatics, Telecommunications)
- Mécanique, energétique, génie civil, procédés (Mechanics, Energetics, Civil & Process Engineering)
- Sciences de l’univers, de l’environnement et de l’espace (geosciences, astrophysics and space science)
- Systèmes (Systems)
The application shall be examined by the doctoral school in which the thesis is envisaged and by the ISAE doctoral commission.
The Institute’s doctoral commissions examine the application files only if they have been signed by the candidate, the thesis director, the co-director of the thesis (if there is one), and the director of the research unit that will host the doctoral student.
The university year begins October 1st and the ISAE-SUPAERO doctoral commission meets two or three times a year: end of June-start of July, the final two weeks of September and early November, if needed..
The complete application file shall be returned to ISAE-SUPAERO at the latest, ten days before the commission meeting.
Candidates admitted to ISAE-SUPAERO shall complete enrollment formalities at the start of October.
Doctoral students enrolled at ISAE SUPAERO must be funded. Funding generally comes from 3 year limited duration fellowship contracts. A few foreign doctoral students have a grant from their government or from the French government.
Main sources of funding an ISAE-SUPAERO doctorate :
- CIFRE agreements (CDD of at least 3 years or a CDI): these fellowships are between the doctoral student, a company and a research unit outside the company.
- ONERA fellowships (3 year limited duration contract -CDD )
- Doctoral fellowships (3 year limited duration contracts-CDD): these contracts are between the doctoral student, the Institute and a public research organization (EPST)
- CNES fellowships (3 year limited duration contract)
- DGA fellowships (3 year limited duration contract)
- Fellowships for foreign students : grants from the foreign student’s government or from the French government (information available from the Embassy or the French consulate) and www.campusfrance.org/fr
- Other information about other options for financing a doctorate
- The form to renew enrollment, common to all founding establishments of the Université de Toulouse and all doctoral schools, is available on the websites of the different doctoral schools.
- This form must be submitted, signed by the thesis director (and the thesis co-director if there is one) and by the director of the research unit in which the thesis is being completed, to the affiliated doctoral school :
before June 30, 2016 for doctoral students enrolling at the start of academic year 2016 in 2nd or 3rd year
before September 5, 2016, for doctoral students enrolling at the start of academic year 2016 in 4th year or more, by derogation. A new enrollment is required for all doctoral students whose thesis defense is not scheduled before September 30, 2016.