Tutoring, local level supervision
The goal of tutoring is to stimulate pupils’ curiosity as well as a desire and taste for learning and effective working habits. Tutoring can be very helpful to willing and motivated junior and high school students.
Over three hour weekly sessions in schools, ISAE-SUPAERO students share their work methods and scientific knowledge with around one hundred high school students from 10th-12th grades. Distance tutoring is also offered to help more isolated students living in rural zones or with limited mobility.
Scientific, technical and athletic workshops
Every 15 days, in class as well as on campus, student engineers develop and run a number of activities for junior high and high school students :
- Projects related to aeronautics and space (ex : elaboration of a mini-blower, an introduction to astronomy, robotics programming, model aircraft making, creation and shooting of water rockets),
- physical and athletic activities (an introduction to scuba diving, rock climbing for disabled students…)
This educational program is enriched with visits to scientific and technical sites such as the Cité de l’espace, the Aéroscopia museum, or the Airexpo meeting.
These activities are also especially tailored to the needs of disabled junior and high school students.
An introduction to higher education
Led by students with support from technicians, engineers and researchers, guided tours of the ISAE-SUPAERO campus help students to better understand higher education. Junior and high school students are invited to discover the laboratories and take part in scientific workshops.
Visits include :
- An introduction to teaching and research labs with demonstrations of drones, the wind tunnel, and the opportunity to try out a flight simulator,
- A presentation of the different higher education sectors and talks with ISAE-SUPAERO students about their own educational choices.
An introduction to the aeronautics and space industrial sectors
- Two programs introducing aeronautics and space comprised of several all-day visits to industrial sites and meetings with professionals talking about their personal experiences,
- In-depth week long training sessions on campus and in companies helping students to better understand aerospace sector jobs and career opportunities.
Information and orientation
Regular meetings and events, adapted to the needs of each grade level throughout the school year:
- In junior high schools and high schools : presentation of different higher education opportunities, in particular in science and engineering
- An annual special day devoted to talking with mentors of the OSE ISAE-SUPAERO program, as well as well known people from the aerospace sector and ISAE-SUPAERO alumni
- Les Entretiens de l’Excellence : annual nationwide forum day gathering students and a panel of top level professionals, from diverse backgrounds, presenting their professional and educational experience in more than a dozen different sectors of activity.
Equal opportunity for men and women
OSE l’ISAE SUPAERO is helping to foster equal opportunity for men and women through a project to help make female students aware of the options available in higher education in science and engineering via:
- Information/orientation sessions led by a female team of one engineer and one scientist in schools from 10th-12th grades.
- Campus visits for groups of female junior and high school students with educational workshops and meetings with aerospace professionals.
The youth benefiting from this program are sponsored throughout their school and university training as well as via professional training by female students.
This action is led in collaboration with the student-run Club, ISAElles, the mission of which is to encourage girls in secondary school to explore science and engineering options.